This year we have an interesting schedule because some or all of us leave the house three mornings a week. This makes it really difficult to be very consistent with circle time, but I’m giving it my best shot. I also have to keep it rather brief, or as brief as is possible for me. 😉 Here’s the outline we’re following:
- Scripture reading–continuing with John
- Scripture memorization–Philippians 2:1-18 (all year)
- Latin memory work for current lesson
- Review poem from jar
- Review Declaration of Independence or Constitution preamble
- Review hymn
- Practice current hymn–“Before the Throne of God Above” by Charitie Lees Bancroft. We’re using the arrangement by Sovereign Grace Music that features Kristyn Getty.
- Individual poems. Lulu chose Shakespeare’s eighteenth sonnet. Louise chose the poem “John F. Kennedy” by Marilyn Singer from her collection entitled Rutherford B., Who Was He? . Louise already has hers memorized, and Lulu is close to having hers memorized, so I’ll probably let them go ahead and pick another.
- Read aloud, usually a work of historical fiction that goes along with our history studies
Things I’d like to do differently: include the DLM more and include some “high brow,” “good” literature (like Shakespeare). This isn’t the year for the latter, and I’ll tackle the former as he matures a bit.