If you’re new to the Newbery Through the Decades Challenge, welcome! You can read all about it and find links to the others months here.
Being a child of the 1970s myself, I’m pretty excited about this month’s challenge! Here are the eligible titles:
1979 Medal Winner: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
1978 Medal Winner: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary
- Anpao: An American Indian Odyssey by Jamake Highwater
1977 Medal Winner: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- Abel’s Island by William Steig
- A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond
1976 Medal Winner: The Grey King by Susan Cooper
- The Hundred Penny Box by Sharon Bell Mathis
- Dragonwings by Laurence Yep
1975 Medal Winner: M. C. Higgins, the Great by Virginia Hamilton
- Figgs & Phantoms by Ellen Raskin
- My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier & Christopher Collier
- The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
- Philip Hall Likes Me, I Reckon Maybe by Bette Greene
1974 Medal Winner: The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox
- The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper
1973 Medal Winner: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
- Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel
- The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss
- The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
1972 Medal Winner: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien
- Incident At Hawk’s Hill by Allan W. Eckert
- The Planet of Junior Brown by Virginia Hamilton
- The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. LeGuin
- Annie and the Old One by Miska Miles
- The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
1971 Medal Winner: Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars
- Knee Knock Rise by Natalie Babbitt
- Enchantress From the Stars by Sylvia Louise Engdahl
- Sing Down the Moon by Scott O’Dell
1970 Medal Winner: Sounder by William H. Armstrong
- Our Eddie by Sulamith Ish-Kishor
- The Many Ways of Seeing: An Introduction to the Pleasures of Art by Janet Gaylord Moore
- Journey Outside by Mary Q. Steele
Although I’ve read several of these that I haven’t reviewed, obviously this month is almost wide-open for me to choose from. We are in the process of moving right now, so in all my book packing I did save out a few 1970s titles just in case the library should fail me or I should fail to get to the library.
In case you can’t read the titles, that’s Dragonwings by Yep, Kneeknock Rise by Babbitt, and The Westing Game by Raskin. Of the three, the last one is the only one I’ve read before, but I think I really enjoyed it, so I might be willing to give it another go. However, I have an entirely different list of books that I really want to read.
I would love to read The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper, two of which are Newbery winners from the 1970s (The Dark Is Rising and The Grey King). However, since this is a series and I would definitely want to read them in order, we’ll see what happens.
The other book I really want to read is Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor. I read the prequel to this, The Land, way back when I was an elementary librarian, and I loved it. I’d love to read the rest of the story. Again, we’ll see how it goes.
We are moving, after all.
What are you planning to read? Are there any of your personal favorites on this list? Do tell!